The role will suit a hands-on Data Engineer with a passion for data to work alongside other developers, architects and business analysts in an agile environment. You will be working in a delivery team to deliver batch and streaming data pipelines from our strategic Google cloud based lake, warehouse and other data platforms, as well as from our legacy enterprise data warehouse (IBM DB2) while we transition; to reporting, marketing, gaming and other platforms and 3rd parties such as regulators. You will work with data scrum team members, data architects, product owners and business analysts delivering elegant solutions and troubleshooting problems. You will get to work with large data sets and apply the latest big data technologies on a range of cloud and on-premise platforms. An interest or experience in the gaming industry is desirable.
- Coding elegant strategic solutions which are reusable and easily maintainable
- Peer reviewing other team member’s code.
- Cooperating with architects and other data engineers to develop technical designs and to propose solutions to key stakeholder requirements.
- Attending stand-ups with key stakeholders, communicating the status of development and raising any potential risks as early as possible.
- Producing clear and concise documentation where required.
- Attending training as required related to Google Cloud Platform, ETL and data pipelines generally.
- Showing an interest in the Gaming industry and in playing our games to understand the impact of data on the player experience.
- Some 2nd line on-call support.
Competencies and experience required:
- Strong SQL/Procedural SQL/Data Warehousing experience.
- Unix shell scripting (or alternative) experience.
- Has worked in a team that adhered to agile principles.
- Has demonstrated self-motivation/pro-activeness on a previous role.
- Good communication skills, and an ability to explain work well to other team members.
- A keenness to understand how the technical task at hand translates into business value.
- Someone who is not afraid to put forward ideas for improving team process or suggest new features to the Product Owner.
- Public cloud experience, Google highly desirable.
- Experience of DB2.
- Experience of data reporting or dashboarding platforms such as Tableau or Cognos.
- Experience or demonstrable interest in analytics and/or machine learning.
- Experience with streaming technologies such as Kafka, and REST APIs.