Our Client is a technology solutions company passionate about Customer tailored product development is looking to hire a mature Head of Software Engineering (HoSE) for a leadership role accountable for the successful delivery of software and IT support infrastructure. Managing a growing team of developers and IT specialists (currently more than 60 in two locations), the HoSE will work closely with the CTO and peers in order to deliver software and IT services that meet customer needs. The HoSE will be accountable for the creation and delivery of the strategic, software, technical vision, leadership, all aspects of the development and integration of software.
As a Head of Software Engineering you will cover these key areas:
- Develop and deliver a strategic technology vision and direction for software development;
- Lead and manage the Software Development process and teams to deliver software, infrastructure and architecture that meets the needs of customers;
- Ensure delivery consistent with Agile processes across the teams;
- Work effectively with Product Managers and Product Owners to ensure delivery against agreed priorities;
- Implement mechanisms to monitor, manage and provide progress on all software development activities;
- Accountable for the on-time and quality delivery of software development projects;
- Create, implement and maintain a continuous improvement plan for software development;
- Working closely with the Product Managers with the aim of meeting current and future user needs;
- In conjunction with the CTO and other IT Managers, define and maintain the IT technology strategy and infrastructure plan;
- Research the external environment, and where appropriate identify and recommend external partners for the delivery of best in class technologies;
- Reviewing and applying said best practices to establish architecture and consistent with and supportive of the Product Strategy and Architectural Strategy;
- Identifying and implementing technology trends that will be able to support the future success of the business;
- Articulating to colleagues, the company’s technological vision, opportunities, and challenges as agreed with the CTO, Architecture and Product;
- Collaborating with the appropriate functions and users to evaluate and identify technology platforms for delivering the company’s products and internal services;
- Understanding the use cases (and/or user stories) in order to oversee the design of the architecture for the products to be built;
- Ensuring that technology standards and best practices are maintained across the organization;
- To drive consistent standards and approaches throughout the development teams;
- Responsible for his/her own work planning against objectives set in agreement with the CTO.
Communication and information:
- Ensure effective internal communications both within the software development teams and across the organization.
- Accountable and responsible for effective financial management, planning and monitoring of the Software Development teams;
- Provide monthly information to enable the creation of financial results and forecasts for the above teams.
Staffing, Management and Resources:
- Ensure that the skills and experience of Software Development and IT teams are consistent with its technological and business needs for providing quality in the present and future services;
- Encourage software and IT staff to represent Company at conferences and meetings to assist in positive employer branding;
- Establish clear organizational structures and succession plans aligned with responsibilities, accountabilities and personal development for all Development staff in line with any anticipated growth;
- Provide support for all staff in keeping with the Company Values.
- Accountable for hiring procedures and pipelines in Software Development line with the help of HR
Policies and Procedures:
- Comply with all relevant policies and procedures
- Complete all documents required by the company policies and procedures
- Undertake additional tasks and responsibilities as may be reasonably expected of the role and as necessary in order to achieve the objectives of the Technology and corporate goals.
You will be successful in this role when you have:
- 4+ years demonstrable and substantial experience in leading and managing teams of software developers (50+ indirect reports)
- Experience of successfully designing and developing sophisticated software products deployed in a variety of environments
- Hands-on experience of coding using more than one recognized industry-standard language (e.g. Java, Golang)
- Experience in leading teams in working in an Agile environment
- Knowledge of the e-gaming and/or Forex industry would be an advantage
- Strong understanding of the Agile software development cycle
- Experience with more than one software development methodology
- Experience with cloud technologies (eg. Google, AWS, Azure) and software deployment to the cloud (CI/CD, scalability, containerization, serverless) would be an advantage
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- An understanding of databases and handling of large data sources
- Experience in using Atlassian JIRA, Confluence is a plus